Topic: [THAC X] IL-UN-VE

Directory Link

[THAC X] IL-UN-VE

Link 1

This is our interactive THAC X entry. IL-UN-VE is more of an computer game than a classic movie. At the end of each clip you can choose how to continue by clicking on of the doors.  You might start over several times - enjoy,
Cheers Arend

Re: [THAC X] IL-UN-VE

Nice idea to make an interactive adventure for your THAC video.  I've never seen anyone pull that off before.

IL UN VE is a great interactive brickfilm, something you don't see often (especially not for THAC), and I love that idea. My main problem is that the viewer is never really told what he's supposed to be doing. Don't get me wrong: once you've gone through all the steps, you understand perfectly what's behind every door and the steps you needed to take, but it's never explained to you that you need to find the way out. The animation of the machinery was great, but some other technical issues (shots not lining up properly, light flickers) can be a bit distracting, especially when you're seeing that same shot over and over again. The sound was a bit basic as well. Overall though, I like the concept of IL UN VE a lot, but I feel it could have done with better execution.

Thank you for the nice review!

I guess I agree 100%. In the end trying this for THAC was definitely overly ambitious, but I am happy that we actually delivered something consistent. But BertL is right, we sacrificed a lot of details and you can see that. We also learned a lot about making something like this, but also a bit late in the game. We planned an entire maze-like structure, and had that planed out, but it turns out that the youtube framework for making things interactive was too limiting for our approach, otherwise there would have been a maze as well.

About the story:
The character is literally dropped into the scene, and this was intended. We wanted the character to first of all explore the world, and also the medium. Again the time constraint killed this effect, because you die in 2/3 of the options... so you as a player are left with too much frustration and not enough exploration.

Lesson learned, we are thinking about something more elaborate, and we are happy about the 19th place. When we decided to do this, we even thought we might get disqualified, because we were afraid that this would not count as a THAC entry, we tried it anyways, and we are happy for all the nice feedback!

Cheers Arend